I used Tool 7.1 Action Planning Template to format my inquiry.
Goal: My goal is to evaluate the effects of recess time in an elementary school setting.
Action Step(s):
I will document student testing scores and compare them as the year progresses. I will Evaluate whether providing recess time actually decreases student referrals and increases student learning.
Person(s) Responsible:
I will be the person responsible for this action research project with the help of the administration team.
Timeline Start/End:
August 2010=
*Administer math and reading pretests to all third through fifth grade students.
*Document results.
*Document the number of referrals given the prior year at the same time of year.
*Began implementation of recess time for sample group.
*Provide survey to students in reference to recess time.
*Provide survey to teachers in reference to recess time.
September/October 2010:
*Administer first benchmark and document results.
*Compare test results to pretests and document any changes.
*Provide survey to students about recess time.
*Provide survey to teachers about the effects of recess time in the classroom.
*Are there any improvements in behavior or in academics?
December 2010:
*Administer second benchmark and document results.
*Compare test results with prior tests. Are there any improvements?
*Survey students.
*Survey teachers.
*Document all findings.
Needed Resources:
*2009-2010 TAKS scores for thrid through fifth grade students.
*Results for pretests administered in August 2010.
*Review referrals given during 2009-2010 school year.
*Create spreadsheets for documentation purposes.
*Create surveys for students.
*Create surveys for teachers.
*Research articles/journals.
*Benchmark results.
Evaluation:
I will evaluate if recess time actually improved student behavior compared to last year. Also, I will evaluate if there was an increase in student benchmark scores, as well as student attitude in the classroom. If scores demonstrate improvement, and there are less referrals given, then recess does have a possitive impact on student learning and on student behavior.
Marilu - my only comment is that maybe you should clarify what you are looking for as effects in an elementary education setting. Are you looking at improved behavior? increased academic performance? greater attention span? increased student engagement? etc. Although I love your goal at looking at the correlation between recess and school, I think this clarification will really help communicate what you are trying to research.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jennifer, I think that what I am trying to research is to find a correlation between recess and the effects of it, educational wise and behavior wise. Does having recess, let it be 10 to 15 min. a day, help behaviorwise and do benchmark increase, compared to last year's scores?
ReplyDelete